It’s one of the longest running slogans in the history of Australian advertising and I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you that it goes hand in hand with the product, Minties.
Invented by James Noble Stedman in 1922, Minties were manufactured and sold through the company James’s father founded, James Stedman-Henderson’s Sweets Ltd.
James Stedman-Henderson’s Sweets Ltd changed hands several times from the late 1960s onwards. Taken over by Hoadleys in 1968, then Rowntree in 1971, they eventually became a part of the international company, Nestle when Nestle took over Rowntree in 1981. Minties are now sold under the Allens brand which was also bought by Nestle in 1985.
Newspaper advertising may have lessened as the years rolled by but the slogan has still remained a part of the Minties product. It is now seen printed on the wrappers along with funny scenarios (not unlike the historical newspaper ads) depicting moments in life when one would need Minties.
- Historical information courtesy of Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minties)
- 1926 ‘Advertising.’, The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879-1954), 8 December, p. 5, viewed 27 May, 2011, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article32000290
- 1930 ‘Advertising.’, The Brisbane Courier (Qld. : 1864-1933), 20 August, p. 11, viewed 27 May, 2011, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article21558001
- 1935 ‘Advertising.’, The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879-1954), 30 March, p. 16, viewed 27 May, 2011, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article32837308
- 1945 ‘Advertising.’, The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860-1954), 23 February, p. 9, viewed 27 May, 2011, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article26066272
- 1946 ‘Advertising.’, The Mercury (Hobart, Tas. : 1860-1954), 27 March, p. 12, viewed 27 May, 2011, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article26177686
- 1953 ‘Advertising.’, The Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Qld. : 1933-1954), 14 August, p. 2, viewed 27 May, 2011, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article51097922